Meet Laura & Tom
Nature lovers, adventure seekers and all-around geeks.
This tale begins with a boy and girl (hello!) and their desire to explore.
After years following the ‘American dream’ (aka graduate, get married, climb the corporate ladder, yadda and so forth), we found ourselves fantasizing about adventures more often than taking them. Then our early 30’s hit, and we decided to take those adventures before getting too much older. So we downsized our lives, packed what was left into a tiny 5×5 storage unit, and set out to embark on a quest of epic proportions.
What kind of quest you may ask?
One of learning: Regularly we like to try new things or push ourselves outside our comfort zone.
One of discovery: While we may not be “boldly going where no one has gone before”, we still get humbled daily from the places and people we meet.
One of adventure: We seek out unique locations and activities, usually relying on our own two feet and know-how to get there. Most of the time things work out as we hope, but there are moments where we find ourselves scrambling to rectify a plan gone wrong. That’s part of the journey, right?
From being obsessed with fantasy realms (Harry Potter anyone?), to spending my summer vacations at camp and outdoor activities, I grew up loving new experiences and destinations. In my teens I then had the opportunity to travel overseas, both in the UK and Japan. After that, I was hooked. Since then I’ve always had some trip brewing behind the scenes, be it a weekend getaway or a long-term holiday.
- Iron Stomach. I’ve eaten some pretty weird and under-cooked things in my day, but rarely get sick from them.
- Patience. ‘Nough said.
- Communications. From speaking to strangers and acting as the main voice behind this blog, I enjoy all forms of communication. I also have a tendency to talk with my hands.
- Blankets. If I’m tired and grab a blanket, you can bet I’ll be passed out in no time.
- Exposure to sun. I’m very fair skinned and even on cloudy days get sun burnt. Hats, long clothing and sunblock are my best friends.
Random Facts & Tidbits:
- I hate coffee. Most people think I’m crazy since Seattle is like the coffee capital of the US, but I’d rather have a good ‘ol black tea any day of the week. Chai and Earl Grey are my favorites.
- I’ve been obsessed with cats since I was a little girl and will go out of my way to pet a friendly feline.
- I’m a sucker for mind puzzles, mazes and strategy games.
- House Gryffindor. It’s true, Pottermore says so.
- I prefer to play range character classes (mage, archer, etc.).
Tom is my husband, IT expert and jack-of-all-trades. He’s constantly learning, be it testing a new app, experimenting with a cooking recipe, or delving into the world’s latest scientific discoveries. It’s thanks to him that so many of my pie-in-the-sky ideas (such as this blog) have turned into reality.
- Packing. Literally, Tom’s like a Tetris master.
- Research. With a background in network design and database management, he’s a wiz when it comes to internet and keyword research.
- Endurance. Long travel days and no food? Tom’s got it down (while I, on the other hand, suffer from bouts of hanger).
- Fancy gadgets. He wouldn’t be a proper tech geek without tons of gadgets. With limited resources and packing space though, he now mostly oogls them from afar.
- Sweets. Tom just can’t get enough of Laura (just kidding). Anything chocolaty always catches Tom’s eye.
Random Facts and Tidbits:
- Tom’s our coffee drinker in the family. Of all the places we’ve traveled, Turkish coffee is his favorite.
- While Tom loves the heat, he’s not a big fan of direct sun. Give him hot, humid weather and an overcast sky and he’s happy.
- House Slytherine (yep, we’re a house divided!).
- Multi-class characters are Tom’s preference. If the game offers a druid, that’s his pick.
- Tom’s got a need for speed. From downhill skiing, to driving winding roads, he loves to go fast!