Meet Laura & Tom
Nature lovers, adventure seekers and all around geeks.
Tom and I have always been adventure geeks. We fell in love over our shared interest in exploring and trying new things (from music to backpacking, food and travel). For years though our lives centered around following “the American Dream” – AKA graduate, get married, climb the corporate ladder, and so forth. More and more our time became consumed by daily minutia and less pursuing the activities and interests that brought us together.
Then one day it hit us; we didn’t have pets, children or a mortgage to worry about, so why not find a way to pursue our career and extracurricular interests at the same time? Six months later we were downsizing our lives and packing what was left into a tiny 5×5 storage unit. Our goal was to spend a year or so living as digital nomads, using that time to cultivate new skills while quenching our thirst for adventure.
We explored 17 countries before the pandemic struck.
Flashback to January 2020 where we were pet sitting in China as the virus started its rampage across the globe. That was a crazy, uncertain time. We canceled the rest of our plans and raced to get home before the borders closed.
Upon our return to the US, we found ourselves
social distancing going crazy while stuck at home with family. At first we remained hopeful the virus would quickly stabilize and we’d just pick back up where we left off… Then two months turned into four, and it became clear a speedy recovery was not in the cards.
With no end to the virus in sight, we made the decision to pivot our focus again, this time toward building a new normal. Since then, we’ve been preparing to reenter the workforce while helping family survive lockdown. Although we have no idea what our post-pandemic life will look like, one thing is for certain: our quest for new experiences will never end.
Growing up I spent much of my free time exploring the wilds of Washington. And when I wasn’t busy soaking up the PNW sun, you’d usually find me curled up with a book immersed in tales about faraway lands. Then in my teens I began traveling further from home, experiencing and seeing sights I’d only ever dreamed about. Needless to say, I was hooked! Since then I’ve made it a point to seek out fun and unique activities at home and abroad.
- Iron Stomach. I’ve eaten some pretty weird and under-cooked things in my day, but rarely get sick from them.
- Patience. ‘Nough said.
- Communications. From speaking to strangers and acting as the main voice behind this blog, I enjoy all forms of communication. I also have a tendency to talk with my hands.
- Blankets. If I’m tired and grab a blanket, you can bet I’ll be passed out in no time.
- Exposure to sun. I’m very fair skinned and even on cloudy days get sun burnt. Hats, long clothing and sunblock are my best friends.
Random Facts & Tidbits:
- I hate coffee. Most people think I’m crazy since Seattle is like the coffee capital of the US, but I’d rather have a good ‘ol black tea any day of the week. Chai and Earl Grey are my favorites.
- I’ve been obsessed with cats since I was a little girl and will go out of my way to pet a friendly feline.
- I’m a sucker for mind puzzles, mazes and strategy games.
- House Gryffindor. It’s true, Pottermore says so.
- Some of my favorite fandoms include (but are most certainly not limited to) The Cosmere, Firefly, Fairy Tail and D&D.
Tom is my husband, IT expert and jack of all trades. He’s inquisitive by nature and constantly learning. This makes him the perfect partner for helping bring my many pie-in-the-sky ideas to life. When not at work you can usually find him tinkering with his latest side project, immersed in a computer game or enjoying the great outdoors.
- Packing. Literally, Tom’s a Tetris master.
- Research. With a background in network design and database management, he’s a wiz when it comes to internet and keyword research.
- Endurance. Long travel days and no food? Tom’s got it locked down, while I, on the other hand, suffer from bouts of hanger.
- Fancy gadgets. He couldn’t call himself a proper tech geek without them.
- Sweets. Tom just can’t get enough of Laura (just kidding). Anything chocolaty always catches Tom’s eye.
Random Facts and Tidbits:
- Tom’s our coffee drinker in the family. Of all the places we’ve traveled, Turkish coffee is his favorite.
- While Tom loves the heat, he’s not a big fan of direct sun. He much prefers hot, humid weather and an overcast sky any day of the week.
- House Slytherine. Yep, we’re a house divided!
- Multi-class characters are Tom’s preference. If the game offers a druid, that’s his pick.
- Tom’s got a need for speed. From downhill skiing, to driving winding roads, he loves to go fast!